Sunday, January 29, 2006

Sunday at the Bistro

Sundays at the Bistro are starting to be my favorite time. I take over for my sister at 12:30 and work through lunch. Lunch on Sunday hasn't picked up so it is relatively quiet. After we finish up lunch I still have a couple of hours before Karyn takes over for me and gives me an evening off so I work the winebar. I always have a couple of interesting visitors come by and have a glass of wine with me to pass the time.

I love to talk to the people that come in. It is quiet, calm and peaceful. I usually have Jack Johnson playing on the stereo and I'm always pouring someting great. Today I had a visit from Kevin. Kevin brought his two friends in. They had been out riding the Harley's and tasting wine. Since the Wine Cottage Bistro is a great place to taste the local wines they made a B-line from Toloso in San Luis to the WCB in Orcutt. Kevin told them that we served a great cheese and wine flight and they all agreed that sounded great. Since Kevin has been in before I told him we have since added some new wines that we are pairing with the cheeses and I would pour him a little different pours than the others. He seemed excited about the variety. After the rants and raves about the new Oyster Bay Sauvignon Blanc from New Zealand paired with the Brie Kevin confessed to me that he may be in trouble since he was supposed to be putting up crown molding but he just had to come over and show his friends our cool new place. He said he can't believe it is here in Orcutt but he is so glad because the WCB has a great atmosphere the service is superb and the food is magnificent. He is going to bring his wife back for dinner to make up for it. They are also coming on Wednesday to the Palmina winemaker dinner. The cheese and wine went over great, like it always does. I poured Kevin a taste of Peidra Creek Zin to get his opinion of the pairing of the Point Reyes Blue Cheese. He agreed that the Rosenblum Zin was a much better pairing than the Peidra Creek but on its own Peidra Creek was great.

See this is what I have to do on a Sunday. Doesn't sound much like work does it?

After chit chatting with Kevin and his friends for a while I turn to the mundane task of washing glasses and getting things prepared for dinner. It is a lot of work running a restaurant especially when you haven't done it before!! As I was getting ready for dinner, in walk one of our first wine club members, Cynthia McFarland. I poured her our new wines, some that we were thinking of carrying and then another cheese and wine flight. She has been a loyal customer and supportive but she had not had the wine and cheese flight yet. We caught up on her new work schedule, her romantic interests (or not) and just life in general. I love this job. People are great, wine is lovely and the Bistro is the place to be.

Come by, make my day and let's get to know each other.

Rebecca

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home