Thursday, December 15, 2005

So Cal Visitor

After months of anticipation, I could not believe the Wine Cottage had finally opened. I had my meals planned, the wines I wanted to try, but when the moment arrived I tossed all that out the window and let the Cottage guide me. I arrived at 1:30, took some pictures, took a tour, than took my place at the Wine Bar. Priscilla, the Wine Attendant, asked what I wanted to taste first. The wine list was extensive(but not overwhelming) and since I'm not the connisour everyone thinks I am, I let Priscilla "attend" to me as I tasted for the rest of the afternoon. She suggested the Chicken Ceaser salad, not for any reason other than that she thought it was delicious. It was. I already had a taster of McManis Chardonnay(which later I would find out was my favorite) so she asked for some insite on how it paired with the salad. It went down smooth and buttery. Than she poured a Sauvignon Blanc as a lighter wine letting me know I "should" be able to taste the sweetness of the roasted peppers. She was right. I advised Priscilla I was no one to take seriously with the wine pairing because I like the wine that I like, and I can drink it with anything whether it pairs or not. I think she thought I was crazy, but than she said: "That's the beauty of wine and wine tasting, you dont have to like what everyone says goes because everyones taste buds are different and thats okay."(whew) I didn't feel so silly after all. To make a long blog longer, Priscilla poured tasters for me(I think I was a guinea pig) asking me this and that and made my afternoon at Orcutts Only Wine Cottage one of the best ever. I tried so many dishes during the day trying to figure our what I wanted to order for the next time but could not decide on one in particular since every dish absolutely mouth watering. I will order first, next time, the Cheese plate and Wine flight. Wow. I can still taste the Rouqefort. Did I forget to mention I also stayed for dinner? I had the Salmon which came with carrots(made with honey and brown sugar) and mashed potatoes that I had to eat miniature bites of because I wanted them to last forever. I dont need to elaborate on the carrots, the proof is in the parenthesis. I want to go back every single day, in fact I would if it wasnt for the fact I live 180 miles away. Small detail. Its worth the drive.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home