Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Bird's Eye View from Seat #7

Perched at the end of the bar in stool #7 I am amazed at what I see. Stool #7 provides a bird's eye view into the interworking of the kitchen staff. On any given day you see our head chef, Matt LaRocco meticulously expediting each and every plate that leaves his kitchen. He peers at the plate looking at the placement of each componet that makes up that entree making sure that there is exactly the same placement and amounts as last time that entree was ordered. He takes his kitchen cloth and wipes off the edge of the plate so everything looks perfect. Then, and only then, does he give the plate to the server to pass on to the anxiously awaiting bon vivant seated in the dining room.

What else do I see as I look past the Chef into the kitchen? I see at least 3 other hardworking, talented, up-and-coming chefs following the wonderful example of Chef LaRocco and diligently performing their station with the utmost passion and perfection. There is never a disagreement, a cross word or even a hint at confrontation or animosity amongst the kitchen staff. They perform like a well oiled machine, an orchestra that is beautiful to watch. From stool #7 you can see it all.

What else do I see while perched on stool #7? I see what appears at first glance as chaos and pandemonium. Servers coming and going through the bar asking for wine, beer or getting ice. Server assistants filling up the water pitcher. As I watch longer, though, I see that they all know what they are doing and that their greatest aim is to take care of the customer. Fulfill their needs and even anticipate those needs. Smiles, laughs and good natured bantering exist in abundance with the staff of the Wine Cottage Bistro. They are a pleasure to watch.

The last thing about sitting at bar stool #7 isn't really unique to this particular stool. You can experience it at seats 1-6 as well and that is the supple, smooth, organic feel of the concrete bar. You can actually feel the warmth and care that went into creating this masterpiece by Dan Jacobs. Looking closely you discover the flecks of different colored glass in the concrete and you discover that they are the same colors as the rest of the bistro, yes continuity and consistency. It is hard to tear yourself away from stool #7. Just ask our So Cal blogger, Dawn. She stayed in stool #7 all day.

So I sit at the end of my shift at stool #7 missing only one thing. I get my cell phone out and call Danny to meet me down at the Bistro. He thinks I am crazy to want to stay until I tell him I ordered us a bottle of The Big Easy and a cheese flight. This clinches it. He is on his way. Now my life for this moment is perfect.

Come see for yourself the hullabaloo of stool #7.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home