Friday, March 11, 2005

Even Postmasters love wine

Living in the middle of wine country you are never at a loss to talk about wine, vineyards, winemakers, favorite wineries, or the movie Sideways. The other day I was in our neighborhood post office and I had an entire tub of mail to retrieve. Paul, one of the postmasters at the Orcutt Branch, fetched my tub of mail and asked, "What is the Wine Cottage?" I told him that we are the newest addition to the wine country family of hospitality venues. A wine bar/bistro in Old Towne Orcutt, 285 S. Broadway. He was very excited that he would just have to walk around the corner for a gourmet lunch or a bottle of wine and gourmet to go dinner selections to take home to his family. I asked if he was a wine drinker. That, I am beginning to see, is a stupid question when you live in the middle of wine country. He said he was indeed. I asked him what his favorite wine was. He, stopped and scratched his chin and thought a long moment. The question he wanted to answer was "What is your favorite wine maker or winery or appelation. He unequivicouly said "Foxen or Longoria". Deciding on his favorite wine of the moment was more difficult. He finally settled on Chenin Blanc. But quickly added, Pinot, or Chardonnay since those two are what the SB county does best. I look forward to more conversations with people just like Paul, regular people who love wine as much as me. So tell me, "What is your favorite wine?"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home